Monday, February 20, 2012

Laziness is Simply a Lack of Motivation

Programmers are often accused of being lazy.  However, I would argue that being lazy can be a good thing - especially when laziness comes from not wanting to waste mental energy coding a file upload routine, coding a basic form or hand coding routines that could easily be auto-generated.  

What excites and motivates me is the process of innovation, or more specifically, getting to a place where I can experiment or research in order to determine the best way to accomplish a task or even, occasionally, break new ground.  But, I'll also settle for solving a problem after careful consideration and planning.  Sure - there are those die hard optimizers out there who want to create the most efficient file saving routine.  I say more power to you - and while you are busy with that, I'm going to figure out how to get more done in less time with fewer lines of code, while giving the user the best possible experience without cutting corners.  

Users have grown more sophisticated and simply won't search through a terrible information architecture to find hidden or poorly presented information.  Nor do they want to watch your lengthy marketing videos.  I have observed (through academic research that I will be sharing soon) that the average internet user now appears to exhibit symptoms of a mild form of ADHD and/or information overload.  They simply do not have any more room in their heads for more stuff and instead seek to be entertained or informed quickly, efficiently and accurately.  Yes, they are growing more skeptical by the second and are catching on to your shoddy journalism or your pseudoscience interpretation of good research.  And since there are so many places on the interwebs to get something similar, they're just as happy to go elsewhere.

I like to imagine that my users are too smart and too busy and I have too many competitors to make excuses about the poor user experience of  my website/web application.  This always motivates me to produce the best results.  

No comments:

Post a Comment